Thursday, May 8, 2008

genova and porto fino





I am writing this on our terraced site overlooking the Chianti Hills about 25km outside of Florence. Another beautiful spring day. Yesterday I hired a scooter (third time) and toured the small villages just east of Genova with Mitch as my dragon rider... Sori, Recca, Campoglni and finally Porto Fino. I've ridden bikes for many years but never had so much fun as ascending and then descending the narrow coastal lanes that join these communities. We saw old men sipping espresso in animated conversation at the cafe, school kids playing in the cobble stone yard at recess, sunbathers on cooling their toes in the Mediterranean. We heard the church bells peel out the time every quarter hour. I think main reason I got such a kick out of the little wheels we were riding was knowing that no lane could be too narrow and where ever we ended up ... I would always find a parking spot. In our "big wheels" motorhome, parking is out of the question. Many places post warning signs for caravans to "enter at your own peril."

Part of our mission was to find an internet cafe ... which we didn't. So far Italy has been the worst for staying connected ... it is almost as though the surrounding beauty of these terraced villages commands any spare time the locals have ... with none left over to waste online. And with that I must sign off ... church bells are calling out end of the siesta time here ... time for me to uncork the rossa vino we picked up in the market earlier.

ciao from beautiful Italia

BOSgone



No comments: